Sunday, January 8, 2012

When I go before God quietly

I consider myself more of spiritual person than a religious person.   I strongly believe that all the variety of life we have here on Earth is (or was) intentionally created by a supreme being, be it God or aliens I really don't know.  What I do know is that  the "big bang" theory of life does not impress me greatly because then I would have to believe that all I see in nature is purely accidental and I do not.   That said,  I admit I am  confused by many of the religious themes with which I am familiar - those contained in the books of the Old and New Testament.  The only way I can sort them out is to remember that these books were written by flawed mortals making some attempt to understand the world within their limited comprehension.

The biggest obstacle I have are those regarding war and killing in God's name.   Whilst declaring that God is omnipotent, having universal authority, power and force I can read that God commands his people to go slay e.g. : ~ 1 Samuel 15:3   Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.   I wonder how it is that an omnipotent God would need mere mortals to kill.  Jewish, Muslim and Christians have all (at one time or another) adopted the notion that God needs folks to defend him, to kill for Him.  Utterly confounding.

When I pray I first thank God for this life and the life of all I see around me.  Then I ask that He look to my heart believing he knows my concerns and might be moved to lighten my worries.  Given that God is the Potter and I am the clay I am more comfortable with the notion that when the time comes to meet my maker I can do so with a clear conscious, and not as a hypocrite pretending to believe in a thing when I am so full of doubt.


1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this post... I often have the same feelings about the God, Mother Nature, the Great Spirit, or whatever name we give to creation or existence.

    Thank you very much for comments on my blog. Is it okay for me to quote you for one of my blog posts? I am thinking of quoting "I am thankful for the wonderful array of beauty and life in this world. To see the colors of the sun reflecting off the eastern clouds in the morning or the western clouds in the evening." (Of course I would credit you and if you'd like, I will link to your blog.) I took photos of a sunset the other night, and I was going to post something about beauty in the natural world, and your quote is so perfect.

    It's always nice to find a kindred spirit... so glad we found one another.

    Saloma

    ReplyDelete