Monday, January 9, 2012

Walking around the ponds

One of my goals for this year is to trust that my knee had mended well and walk more frequently with my favorite walking companion, Bubba, a rescued shepherd mix that I've had since he was about 4 weeks old.  We're old pals Bub and I, he's 7 years old now... and he's adapted well to walking at my slower pace.  
Bubba ~ Bright-eyed, bushy tailed, and ready to go!


 We went to Wilson Ponds, a 55 acre birding trail located about 5 minutes from home.  We are fortunate to have an area like this so close to home.  

Wilson Ponds, Nampa, Idaho has walking trails surrounding the ponds
 I said we walked but to put it more accurately, we moseyed around.  There were a few other walkers and one jogger.  The jogger passed us about four times whilst we were there.   Every morning I hear geese flying over my house, most likely from Wilson Ponds, heading east, and most likely out to forage on the farmland between here and Boise.
I wasn't surprised to see so many waterfowl still lallygagging around, we have a lot in this area.
Coots, Mallards and Canadian Geese
When a few of the geese took off for a quick surveillance of the area they passed directly and low overhead.  The flapping of their heavy wings sounded like bumble bees buzzing right next to my ears.
 
Thar they go bzzzz

We enjoyed a nice leisurely stroll but just towards the end of the path leading to the parking lot I noticed an American Kestrel on one of the overhead power lines.  Fortunately I was able to snag a shot.



It was a lovely day indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment